Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Free Vintage Clip Art - Vintage English Woolen Mills Company Ads

Vintage English Woolen Mills Company Ads

England, Scotland and Wales are well known for their wool products.  The mills were located in the country close to where the wool was sheared from the sheep to turn into wool.

I discovered wool a few years ago as a crafter.  What a wonderful medium to work with!  I can often be found in thrift stores buying up old wool coats, skirts and jackets.  I bring them home and get out my seam ripper and take the garments apart, removing the buttons, zippers and linings.  Now I have pieces of 100% wool that cost me much less than going to the fabric store!  I prefer to buy only 100% wool and usually purchase only white or cream colored wool pieces so I can dye them any color I want.

Once the garments are taken apart I throw them in the washer, using hot water and laundry soap, to felt them.  Now the fun begins!  I recently discovered using Kool Aid to dye my wool!  Yes, Kool Aid and a microwave!  I guess using Kool Aid as a dye has been around for awhile and is a wonderful, non-toxic and inexpensive alternative to fabric dyes.  Of course, you can only dye small amounts of wool this way but that's fine with me.  Play around with color intensity and mixing the different "flavors" for different color combinations. 

Here are some English Woolen Mills Ads


Click on image to download


Click on image to download

So stop by a thrift store, buy a wool garment, bring it home and felt it and then get out your Kool Aid and have some fun!

Enjoy!